Quotable quotes from The Wall Street Journal’s Ricky Gervais: Why I’m an Atheist by Ricky Gervais:
Why don’t you believe in God? I get that question all the time. I always try to give a sensitive, reasoned answer. This is usually awkward, time consuming and pointless. People who believe in God don’t need proof of his existence, and they certainly don’t want evidence to the contrary. They are happy with their belief. They even say things like “it’s true to me” and “it’s faith.” I still give my logical answer because I feel that not being honest would be patronizing and impolite. It is ironic therefore that “I don’t believe in God because there is absolutely no scientific evidence for his existence and from what I’ve heard the very definition is a logical impossibility in this known universe,” comes across as both patronizing and impolite.
- Science “doesn’t get offended when new facts come along”
- “Again you can say, ‘It works for me,’ but so do placebos.”
- “But believing in something doesn’t make it true.”
- “If I came up to you and said, ‘Why don’t you believe I can fly?’ …’Prove I can’t fly. Prove I can’t fly see, see, you can’t prove it can you?’ You’d probably either walk away, call security or throw me out of the window and shout, ‘’F—ing fly then you lunatic.'”
- “I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.”
- “But living an honest life -– for that you need the truth. That’s the other thing I learned that day, that the truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity.”